Recently in my life I have a rash of couples, all who got married and had kids around the same time as M and myself, who have broken up. Gotten divorce. Ended their relationships.
This has really got me thinking.
I know there are two sides to every story and that there is probably so much more going on beyond the scenes that I don't know, don't see to why their respective relationships failed. At the same time I am trying to puzzle out how do we avoid the same pit falls?
While I am not sure if I have any answers I have been reeeling lately with the overwhelming sensation of vulnerability. Having kids, especially young kids I feel so dependent upon M. That we are a team, I couldn't imagine doing all of this without her. That being said, it also feels like this is as tough as it gets. Barring any major life events (death, jobs, moving...etc) having young kids - it's tough. Having enough time, energy or stamina to manage kids, jobs, life and at the end of the day have time for your partner - it's hard.
While I feel bad for the kids when a marriage falls apart, there is a part of me that wants to scream "This is not the time to be making these types of decisions! Get a full night sleep, get laid and then take an objective look at it again". I am not foolish enough to believe it is truly that simple, but I have to believe that not everyone around me is falling apart.
This weekend M and I celebrated six years. Six years of being married. And while we celebrated with a baby who slept through the night (seriously 8pm - 6am! Woot!) I find myself hold her tightly, appreciating who she is, celebrating how well we work together and realizing that some that other 'stuff' that I get so riled up about, may not really be all that important.
What's important is remembering that I want, need and hope we are together to do it all together.


I couldn't agree more about holding off making that kind of decision until the stress level goes down.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on SIX years married!
"Get a full night sleep, get laid and then take an objective look at it again."
ReplyDeleteHa ;) Sometimes very true.
Sounds like you've got a good thing going :) Happy 6 years of marriage! We hit that next year.