Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Showers....

So not only is it raining outside, but lately I have been thinking about a shower for this baby. It's funny during my pregnancy there was a very concerted effort that everything was for 'us'. Both M and I. This was OUR pregnancy - but this time listening to everyone talk - it's M pregnancy. Her first. I'll be honest, my guttural emotional response to this changes daily. People try and include me in the conversation - but no one (including me) is sure about how to navigate the topic. I am not taking it too personally, but there are still moments that it stings.

All of this has brought us to the topic of a shower for M. While everyone talks about wanting to throw us a shower - we are trying to navigate what that will look at. Really folks want to celebrate M and her pregnancy, but M is truly uncomfortable being the center of attention, especially pregnant. So we have been toying with the idea of just having a big BBQ at the local park. Kids, friends and families and come and run around - folks can come and share well wishes - and no one needs to play one clothes pin game. Not sure yet- this is just the current idea we are toying with.

The other question that has surprised me, is people asking if we were going to register again. I am not sure why this shocked me so- I am looking for a website that will allow us to register for 'services' opposed to 'stuff'. Really what I want - is gift certificates for meals, someone to clean my house, we have all the baby gear (minus a few things). Is anyone familiar with a site that will allow us to do this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

How did other folks deal with showers during a second pregnancy? What about when the other partner carried?

2 comments:

  1. our shower for our 1st baby was very similar to the one your described. (here's a link: http://anofferingoflove.wordpress.com/2009/09/20/party-pics/) it was a wonderful, inclusive, non-traditional celebration of our baby-to-be.

    no thoughts on the registry... maybe just tell people those ideas when they ask?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bit late to the commenting party, but I wanted to let you know about Lotsa Helping Hands, a website where your friends can sign up (you could get a list at the shower) and then you can post tasks for them to help with after the baby is born. We did this an it was a lifesaver--friends brought over meals, picked up grandmas at the airport, etc.

    ReplyDelete