Lessons I have recently learned.
Teachers in California don't pay into State Disability. Why you ask - that I have no answer for.
M is a teacher. Originally when we realized that her EDD would be the end of June we thought that would be ideal, she would be off during the summer then she could potentially take her paid maternity leave when school started and that could ideally keep her out of work until the end of November, beginning of December.
yeah. not. so much. sigh.
So, since teachers don't pay into State Disability she does not qualify for short term disability, nor does she qualify for Paid Family Leave. Now, teachers do have the option to sign up for and pay for a separate disability policy - but of course now that option is not available to us. We called and they will not cover any 'pre-existing medical conditions' aka. pregnancy at this point.
And the kicker ...now since she is due mid-summer (when is is already off of work) that she is not really going to receive any paid time off. we are trying to figure out if we can afford for her to take the 12 weeks of federal FMLA, and then I think I could qualify for 6 weeks of paid family leave- but financially it is going to be a much different picture than we were originally thinking.
This being an adult thing - sometimes it is hard. No one tells you that you have to read all the fine print.


No comments:
Post a Comment