We have begun the conversation around our house about what is going to happen to our duo when M goes into labor. We are currently at a bit of an impasse. While M can not tell me much at this point about her vision of a 'birth plan' (I use quotes because I believe this is just a guideline more than anything) but one thing she does say is that she wants to labor at home as long as possible.
The current debate is about where our kiddos are going to go. I am not sure why, but seriously every. single. time. i try and talk about it I end up in a puddle of weepy mess on the floor. For me, I feel like this is going to be a huge transition that is going to rock their world. I want them to feel secure in their surroundings and not feel like they are being shipped off.
For me, I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that even after the birth the reality is I will have to float between my two families. I hope that all goes smoothly and M can come home a day later. But what happens if she is in the hospital for an extended time? I can not imagine being away from the kiddos for that whole time, then where does that leave me?
On top of it, I am not sure who to ask. We have a friends that would be willing to potentially take our kids for a day but any more than that we kind of run out of options...again, the thought of all of this is making me weep. sigh.
I know we'll figure it out but at the moment it feels like a really large hurdle.
Off to dry the eyes before I start work again...


Hi. I am a first time reader and ironicly babysat (as a teen) for a family with two mom, who had twins (carried by K) and then a little girl ( carried by D). The kids were 2.5 when the 3rd child was born. How they worked it out was that I came over to watch the twins. D happened to go into labor at night, she had been laboring all day but stayed home. I came over after the children went to bed and they knew I would be there that night.
ReplyDeleteI stayed for the night and kept to their routine, as much as I could. That meant daycare that first day. K came home to pick them up from daycare and then I did dinner with them and put them to bed. She came home to sleep that night, and took them to daycare in the am. Luckly D was discarged that next day, so I was unneeded.
I guess my two cents (for what it is worth, after all you don't know me) is to find someone to help, who is flexable, but to also come home some so the kids aren't freaked out. You will be suprised how resiliant kids are, they will be okay with family or friends, or even a nanny. I think this is one of those things that is so much harder on the moms.
Good luck with whatever you decide