You decide to buy a two bedroom house. You then have two adults and two children living in said house. You decide to add one more baby - where would this child sleep?
OR
here is the real question -
In all my readings prior to conception I was under the assumption that doing an IUI in the doctor's office did not increase one's chance to conceive twins. Then last night a friend of mine mentioned she had read somewhere that this was not necessarily true.
Does anyone have any information on this? I'm searching Dr.Google but can't find any conclusive information.


No answer for your first question, but for the second... I cannnot see a reason why the chance for twins would be higher with IUI. To have twins, you need either two eggs, or for one egg to split. The quality of the sperm (which is better with IUI because it's been washed) shouldn't effect the rate of twins, just the overall rate of getting pregnant in the first place if the timing is just right. Now, if IUI were used in conjunction with fertility drugs, then the rate is higher.
ReplyDelete@ Strawberry: That was my thought. But my friend was trying to tell me about a study she read that talked about how women frequently drop double eggs, and with an IUI it would increase your likihood of twins. I don't necessarily believe it- and couldn't find the study online. But I was curious if anyone else had seen this same information.
ReplyDelete(Hi!)
ReplyDeleteI think it's more likely a case of correlation, but not causation. A large number of couples go to IUI when they have trouble conceiving, often (though not always) due to age (true or ovarian/biological). As you(r ovaries) age, they are more likely to release more than one egg each month (because the eggs are lower quality, at least that's what is posited). That's why your risk of twins increases as you get older; it would make sense that then if those folks are doing IUI, the rate of twins would be higher with IUI (though not necessarily with all IUI patients). Also, it would be (slightly) higher with IUI patients who take fertility meds (clomid or injectibles), skewing the whole number. I think if there weren't any meds involved, then there should be no higher risk of twins.
(of course, at this point you know there's only one, but I thought I'd chime in with the possible reason behind the raised figures.)