Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, December 12, 2011

Adoption Day!


Sorry for the radio silence- we have been having some technical difficulties at home lately, and we are just working to get our home computer back up and running so we can download all the pictures from our camera.  So any great shots to share with everyone - but for the time being here is one shot from Freya's adoption on Friday.

A few weeks back we received word that the original time of our hearing had been moved from 11am - to 8:30am.  Yikes!  While I knew we would make it, I was a little fuzzy about how we were going to get everyone up, dressed, and out the door and 20 minutes away - by 8:30...but we made it.  And then the judge was an hour late.

Luckily, once she arrived- she was great.  Thrilled for our family, kind and present for this moment.  After signing papers and such - she had me stand and make the following pledge:

I solemnly swear
to treat Freya
In all respects as my natural child
I am prepared to accept
This gift of a child to raise
I will share my life with her
Help to mold her mind
Nurture her body
And enrich her spirit

I will never betray her trust
Dampen her hopes or
Discourage her dreams

I will be patient and kind
I make this commitment willingly
I will cherish Freya
All the days of my life

(Based upon prayer in Guide my Feet by Marian Wright Edelman)

I don't know if there was a dry eye in the house.  While the day comes with mixed feelings (thrilled that here in California we have the ability, but annoyed that I even had to do this) making this pledge, saying these words filled me with reverence at the commitment we all make when we become parents.  I hope everyone reminds themselves, with these words - how precious these lives are.

Following our court date - we were off for brunch and some time at the bounce house.  All n' all - a great morning. 

More pictures soon... promise.


4 comments:

  1. well, that made me tear right up! congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful picture. And doesn't it just sum it all up. Shouldn't EVERY parent have to make this vow in front of a judge in order to "parent" their children. biological or adopted.
    Well, ok, maybe not everyone....but there are a LOT of people out there that should have to say it out loud. have their promise in writing on record so that when they stop doing it, they can be punished. some how. :)
    Can't wait to see all of your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to your family! I agree on the appreciating that the adoption is possible but annoying that it is even needed part.What a beautiful pledge!

    ReplyDelete